Saturday, September 02, 2006

Clean Out Your Bookmarks - Xgau Axed!

Dear Friends and Colleagues,
If this comes completely out of the blue, I apologize.
It is now official--Village Voice Media fired me today, "for
taste," which means (among other things) slightly sweeter
severance. This despite the support of new music editor Rob
Harvilla, who I like as a person and a writer. We both believed I
had won myself some kind of niche as gray eminence. So I was
surprised Tuesday when I was among the eight Voice employees
(five editorial, three art) who were instructed to bring their
union reps to a meeting with upper management today. But I
certainly wasn't shocked--my approach to music coverage has never
been much like that of the New Times papers,
Bless the union, my severance is substantial enough to give me
time to figure out what I'm doing next. In fact, having finished
all my freelance reviews yesterday, I don't have a single
assignment pending. So, since I have no intention of giving up
rock criticism, all reasonable offers entertained; my phone
number is in the book, as they used to say when there were books.
What I don't need is a vacation--the three of us just had a great
two and a half weeks, and Nina matriculated at BMCC yesterday.
No need to respond. Forward to whoever you will.
Love,
Bob Christgau

1 Comments:

Blogger Cindy Smith, Editor, Education for the Driving Masses said...

Hello there:
I'm all for freedom of expression, but your blog is public. Meaning, when reading a blog and you hit Next Blog on said blog, your blog comes up with a graphic sexual in nature as your profile pic which my 11 year old niece saw this evening while working on a social humanities project about Internet communities. Needless to say, as her aunt, I was taken aback. Maybe you could take that into consideration? That a child may come across your blog?
Much appreciated if you do.
Regards,
Cindy
PS. Strong language doesn't bother me, strong sexual imagery sometimes needs to be taken with a grain of salt, no?

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home