Monday, September 30, 2019

The Great Waltz (Andrew L. Stone, 1972)

I crossed off an item from my Dying To See list - The Great Waltz (Andrew L. Stone, 1972). Dying to see for *purely* professional reasons, that is. It's godawful. BUT. It is more watchable than Stone's previous horror Song of Norway (1970) which remains my choice for the worst film musical of all time. This one benefits from some Strauss père/fils tension at the beginning, Mary Costa's campy arias, and a hilarious singing voice-of-God narrator dropping such narrative nuggets as "In 43 days locked in this house/Johann Strauss composed Die Fledermaus." Lawd! Horst Buchholz (didn't know he was bisexual!) stars as Johann Jr. I'm embarrassed for both of us.

Thanks to the amazing Rarefilmm site for allowing me to finally see this although several minutes are missing probably due to a faulty broadcast or rip.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home