Saturday, July 18, 2020

Lou Reed: Metal Machine Music (RCA Victor, 1975)

Happy 45th birthday to Lou Reed: Metal Machine Music (RCA Victor, 1975)! I'm old enough to be baffled when I first saw this noise joke show up on CD in the early 1990s (although it's equally baffling that the thing was released on 8-track!). Then again, I never thought I'd see Jandek on CD and look where we are now with the man. Today, the "scandal" of Metal Machine Music has been smoothed over by the noise of the internet. And after decades of all manner of horrible skronk, it actually sounds quite soothing, even reassuring in its constancy. Lester Bangs reported that Reed made this a double album to symbolize "two tits" and I believe it - its trebly wingspan could use more bottom. But with all the honesty I can muster, I legit find Metal Machine Music more listenable than the Reed-Metallica horror Lulu, quite possibly the worst album ever released by an artist of substance, to quote Xgau out of context.
Grade: B

Check out this epic blog post for more info. 



Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home