Thursday, July 16, 2020

Booksmart (Olivia Wilde, 2019)

Not quite up to the level of such inexhaustible female-friendship classics as Ghost World or Romy & Michele's High School Reunion - the dénouement feels a bit too forced and corny. But damn close! This is a writers' film (and I do mean that in the plural - four hands signed it) with sampler-worthy one-liners stuffed in every crevice. As such, it invites obsession. The second it's over, you just want to watch it over and over again and commit all that staircase wit to memory.

One example of dozens: George (Noah Galvin) reluctantly allows Molly (Beanie Feldstein, perfect) to play the "hideous, barren orthodontist" at his murder-mystery party. But when she reads over her character packet, she discovers that "This just says 'orthodontist.'" This is the kind of committee writing that an incorrigible auteurist such as myself should disdain. But as a long time Simpsons freak (and one who believes it stayed fresh well past season 10), I approve. In fact, I think I'll put it on as I wind down tonight.

Grade: A-minus

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home