Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Is this Edith Massey in Arise, My Love (Mitchell Leisen, 1940)?

So apparently Edith Massey told John Waters that she was an extra in Mitchell Leisen's Arise, My Love (1940). Having finally procured a copy of the film, I scanned for Ms. Edie and, 75 minutes into it, found an extra who resembles her a great deal. At left:



Of course, I'm going by how Massey looked when she was in her 50s. IMDb has her born in 1918 which would've made her only 21 or 22 when Arise, My Love was filmed. The woman above doesn't look like she's in her early 20s to me. But who knows? Maybe an Edith Massey scholar? Anyone?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Li'l M said...

I'm no Edith Massey scholar, but I've been looking for any stills videos of her scene(s) all over the web! I'm incredibly curious to know what a young Edie would look like! Is there any way you could upload some of the movie to Youtube? It'd be a dream come true!

Either way, thanks for posting!

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I may have spotted Edie, but it's near the beginning of the film: As Milland and Colbert are making a getaway, you see several villagers. One is a young, smallish woman in a plaid dress.
I also thought about the heavy-set maid in the pic here, but she looks too old to be 22, and her features just aren't similar enough to Edie's to convince me.

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! It's Edie (compare to her 1933 photo here:)

http://www.myspace.com/edithfanpage/photos/1383434#%7B%22ImageId%22%3A1383434%7D

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home