Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Fifteen high school albums I still enjoy

Here are fifteen albums I bought during high school that I still dig. An idea mopped from Alfred Soto's blog, this is an odd exercise for me because I honestly cannot think of an album I purchased at the time that I dislike now. But here are fifteen hot platters in heavy rotation during my pimplier, greasier days. Look at all that punk, pre- and post-! The poptimism bug didn't bite me until reading Spin in college, c. 1989 so there's not much black music or dance/disco here. And pop meant new wave to this white, MTV-addicted suburbanite for almost the entire decade. Country would remain closed off to me until I received Rhino's The Best of Lefty Frizzell for Xmas 1991. No Afropop either until reading Xgau in 1990. And so on.

1. Burning Ambitions: A History of Punk (Cherry Red, 1982)
2. The Jesus and Mary Chain: Psychocandy (Blanco y Negro, 1985)
3. Dead Kennedys: Plastic Surgery Disasters (Alternative Tentacles, 1982)
4. Wham!: Fantastic (Columbia, 1983)
5. Laurie Anderson: Home of the Brave (Warner Bros., 1986)
6. Meat Puppets (SST EP, 1981)
7. Mudhoney: Superfuzz Bigmuff (Sub Pop EP, 1988)
8. Butthole Surfers: Locust Abortion Technician (Touch & Go, 1987)
9. The Residents: Commercial Album (Ralph, 1980)
10. Big Black: Songs About Fucking (Touch and Go, 1987)
11. Ministry: Twitch (Sire, 1986)
12. Dinosaur Jr.: You're Living All Over Me (SST, 1987)
13. The Fall: The Wonderful and Frightening World Of... (Beggars Banquet, 1984)
14. Prince and the Revolution: Purple Rain (Paisley Park, 1984)
15. The Velvet Underground: VU (Verve, 1985)
Edit: I totally forgot Violent Femmes (Slash, 1983) which I listened to obsessively in high school!



Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home