Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Bohemian Rhapsody (Bryan Singer et al., 2018)

I went in expecting heterowashing and was roundly gifted with exactly that. Instead of getting grumpy, though, I focused on Mercury's unrelenting fabulosity and had a grand time. It was a high simply witnessing Mercury flit in and out of scenes with a "dahling" or "sweetheart." And has anyone noticed how much he sounds like Tallulah Bankhead?!? Best scene (whether true or not): forcing Roger Taylor to do ever-higher Galileos during the recording of the title song. Best effect: a deep dive into Queen's music since, gosh, my teens. People, "Death on Two Legs" and, especially, "The Prophet's Song" are as jaw-dropping as "Bohemian Rhapsody" (and they're off the same album)! And like "1999" and "Rock the Casbah," "Killer Queen" is a song I thought I knew inside out but I now hear as a goddamn masterpiece!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home