Thursday, January 17, 2019

Best and Worst Films of 1999

Here's a list I found of the best and worst films of 1999. Beau Travail, Rosetta, and The Wind Will Carry Us wouldn't make their way to me until 2000. No clue why my fave Jarmusch (Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai) is missing. Kikujiro would probably top the list today. I still loathe the moralizing final third of Eyes Wide Shut but the rest hypnotizes (the grain! the performances! the dorky sex castle! Xmas!). * means I remember not a damn thing about it.

1. Crazy in Alabama (Antonio Banderas)
2. Lovers of the Arctic Circle (Julio Medem) - This is listed with This Is My Father (Paul Quinn) but all I remember about the latter is a cameo by John Cusack as a pilot. 
3. Amerikanos (Christos Dimas)
4. Fight Club (David Fincher)
5. Black Cat, White Cat (Emir Kurastica)
6. An Autumn Tale (Eric Rohmer)
7. The Iron Giant (Brad Bird)
8. Election (Alexander Payne)/Stir of Echoes (David Koepp)
9. eXistenZ (David Cronenberg)
10. My Parents Read Dreams I've Had About Them (Neil Goldberg)
 

Runners-up: 
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (Jay Roach) 
Besieged (Bernardo Bertolucci) 
The Blair Witch Project (Eduard Sanchez, David Myrick)
Bowfinger (Frank Oz)*
Dick (Andrew Fleming)
Get Real (Simon Shore) - But I hate how the female best friend was shrugged off.
King of Masks (Wu Tianming)*
Limbo (John Sayles)*
Loss of Sexual Innocence (Mike Figgis)
Magnolia (Paul Thomas Anderson)
The Omega Code (Rob Marcarelli)
The Red Violin (François Girard)
Romance (Catherine Breillat)
Run Lola Run (Tom Tykwer)
The Sixth Sense (M. Night Shyamalan)
The Straight Story (David Lynch)
Summer of Sam (Spike Lee)Superstar (Bruce McCulloch)
The Talented Mr. Ripley (Anthony Minghella)  
The Winslow Boy (David Mamet)
 

Worst:
1. American Pie - I no longer recall why this was #1 but voilà!
2. The Phantom Menace
3. The Mod Squad - At a preview screening, there was a loud industrial scraping sound that made the film great for 90 seconds.
4. The Out-of-Towners
5. The Thirteenth Floor
*
6. Detroit Rock City
7. An Ideal Husband
8. Jawbreaker
9.
Mystery Men 
10. Mystery, Alaska - Directed by Jay Roach for what it's worth.
11. Happy, Texas - At the press screening, the reels were out of order. A fascinating experience of a terrible film. 
12. The Dinner Game*
13. Dogma
A film called Elvis Lives was listed in the Worst category. But I can find no such film released around the time. Maybe I saw him at Taco Bell.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home